Anglesey Track Day - 27.05.2024

This track day turned out to be a bit of a fail ... or did it!?

I did the sighting laps and a few solo laps, and then came the instructor session at 11:15. I was probably driving harder than before (to impress the instructor maybe ... he was not impressed ๐Ÿ˜‚) and after 3 or 4 laps all of a sudden I had no power. It was like the gearbox didn't want to change gear, but it was actually the car had entered limp mode. I had triggered an O2 sensor fault.

The instructor told me a few things that sunk in. I need to be gradual and smooth on the acceleration and braking - normally, I would be smooth (I like to be smooth) but I was probably trying to not be my usual "Captain Slow". Also I am turning in way to early.

Funny thing was that after the instructor session I went out for a few laps driving more slowly and I actually enjoyed myself more๐Ÿ˜Š - even though the O2 sensor fault did eventually kick in again (I had reset it previously.) The semi-automatic gearbox on the Exige is pretty useless if you want to use it in manual mode. I did try to use the flappy paddles, but the auto mode was taking over too quickly.

On the drive from Anglesey to The Talardy Hotel, the car was perfect, no issues. And I discovered the childish joy of reving the engine in a tunnel.

My Generic ODB Codes

I already had the EML light on. But today we got some new fault codes.

P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 (current)
P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2 (current)
P0154 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected bank 2 sensor 1 (current)*
P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 (pending)
P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2 (pending)
P2193 system too lean at higher load bank 2 (pending)*
P0154 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected bank 2 sensor 1 (pending)*
P0151 O2 sensor circuit low voltage bank 2 sensor 1*

The fault codes in bold are the new ones. I cleared them. The O2 sensor fault came back. I cleared them again and after driving the 60 odd miles to The Talardy Hotel, just the usual P0420 and P0430 returned.

Oulton Park Track Day

I had doubts that back-to-back track days is a good idea and it has proved not to be. I'm toying with "should I go, should I not go" as I write this on the evening of 27.05.2024. The Oulton Park track day is on the 28th. I might just go home. Some guys at Anglesey suggested I go to Oulton Workshop on Tuesday and see if they can help. It's probably worth a shot. I might be able to do the sighting laps and maybe a few solo laps. To be decided ...

Next I'll have a bath at my hotel "The Talardy" and decide about tomorrow.

Pictures from Anglesey



Comments