Why the Audi RS3 is Here to Stay (The Importance of Sound And Aspirational Cars)

Two months into my Audi RS3 ownership.

After my disappointing experience with the Porsche Cayman 718 S, it made me realize how important sound is in my enjoyment of a car . The Porsche Cayman 718 S had everything going for it -

  • a very beautiful car (inside and out)
  • a dynamically highly capable car
  • a superbly equiped car
  • a very fast car

- but the sound it emitted was so disappointing. Even with the Fabspeed exhaust I still couldn't come to terms with the sound. The sound wasn't terrible and probably in another car - like a hot hatch - it would have sounded okay. The sound just didn't sound right for a beautiful elegant Cayman and hence after 3 months the Cayman 718 S was gone. I should add that, if you've got the Porsche Sports Exhaust with your Cayman 718 S, the Fabspeed Supercup Turboback exhaust really does not give you much extra in the sound department - it was a waste of money.

 The Audi RS3 sounds absolutely brilliant. I generally always drive in dynamic setting. And this car sounds so good, possibly the best sounding car I've ever owned (perhaps better than my Lotus V6's), and I absolutely love the sound. Many people have commented that it sounds like a mini Lamborghini V10. And this is why my RS3 isn't going anywhere - what could I replace it with that sounded as good!? Realistically, I'd need a Lamborghini to get something that sounded as good/better.

Another thing about the Audi RS3, is that it is an aspirational car. People aspire to one day own an Audi RS3. Once you're got an aspirational car, it's hard to go down to a normal humdrum car and be satisfied. You see I did think "should I sell the RS3 and go for something cheaper to reduce my monthly expenditure?" And I realized that, whilst I might be happy with reduced monthly payments, the bug would set in sooner or later to get another aspirational car. I really wouldn't save any money trading in the RS3 for something cheaper (like a normal A1/A3 - cars I do not aspire to own), because I'd just get the bug for something aspirational again in the future, and if my funds could manage it, I'd end up buying something expensive. Much better to leave that expensive purchase in the past and enjoy what you've got.

So, that's why the Audi RS3 is here to stay:

  1. It sounds bloody brilliant
  2. It's an aspirational car (an achievement)

Image: Two of the Greatest Sounding Cars in the World: Audi RS3 vs Lamborghini Huracan Performante


Comments