Dream Spec Porsche 911?

Of course this is a Lotus Owners Diary blog, that doesn’t mean that I’m in any way tribal. I don’t discriminate. If I see a beautiful and desirable car, it’s beautiful and desirable.

Because I love looking through used car websites (I’m an addict of Pistonheads and Autotrader - I need help), seeing what there is out there, every so often I come across an absolute peach that really makes me think. Here is one of those absolute peaches.

Image: 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa Sport - Front and Side

Image: 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa Sport - White Leather Interior

Image: 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa Sport - Rear

I think it’s absolutely perfect. If I was ever going to buy a Porsche 911 that would be it, that would be my one and only Porsche 911 (my car buying rule - just one of a model, then never again). The spec is so perfect for me that it’s almost untrue. White leather and fabric interior (I loved the white Alcantara interior in my old Audi A3). A perfect shade of blue (blue is possibly my favourite car colour, it doesn’t suit all cars though.) That blue exterior and white interior combination is perfect for me. And it’s the classic body style (I much prefer the classic style pre-1990 911). It’s a Targa (like my Exige - I love Targa’s, no so keen on convertibles.) It’s the Sport model. It’s a very late original style Porsche 911. It’s recently been repainted so the paint looks perfect. And it has had an engine rebuild, so someone has spent good money taking care of the car and sorting out problems.

The car does have over 100’000 miles - that’s a good thing though, since it means you can use it and not worry about clocking up miles.

Price just under £50’000!

If only I had the funds...
Desire is the root cause of all suffering...
A fool and this money are soon parted...

Yes, I have had a good think about it. And by my rules (rules which exist to make life more enjoyable) and rule 2 -

"Rule 2) If you want to buy a car, you must have the money in the bank to do so, and you must not have any debt except the mortgage."

- I definitely don't have £50k sitting in a bank account somewhere. I'm actually over £40k in debt (£30k car finance on the Lotus, £7k other loan, £4k credit card). So £90k short of affording this. Even if I sold the Exige and Audi TT (which I don't want to do) I would still be like £50k off. And, most importantly. I can't be happier with my current two car lineup.

One day...

Comments