2020.05.16/17 - Car Buying Rules Update

2020.05.16 (Saturday)

I've been enjoying my Exige some more this week. A short shopping trip on Friday (M&S) and another short shopping trip on Saturday (Sainsburys). Driving around in a bright orange crazy car with the roof off is a special experience, and I find myself struggling to contain a Cheshire cat grin.

I've done my first couple of mods this week (today).

1) I've fitted a smaller front number plate (Zero plate) procured from Fourdot Designer Plates (I have a nicer rear plate to fit too someday.)
2) I've fitted the CNC Machined Engine Plaque from Alias23 (I need to refit with some rubber washers underneath the plate as it does rattle a little without. And I've got some thread locker to put on.)

Image: Essential Exige V6 S mod - Alias23's CNC Machined Engine Plaque

Not expensive mods. And it's got me thinking what mods might I do in the future (all the below are from komo-tec.)

- Phase EX370 Upgrade (from EURO 1690)
- Carbon fibre sill cover (EURO 439)
- Carbon fibre A post trim panel (from EURO 175)
- Carbon fibre Binnacle cover (EURO 129)
- Carbon fibre Radiopanel + Vents (EURO 259)
- Carbon fibre Radiator-Panel-Surround (EURO 239)
- Carbon fibre engine cover (EURO 399)

One day I might get the front clam repainted and PPF-ed because there are some stone chips.

Another thing I've been thinking about were my 'Car Buying Rules for 2020 (for the New Decade)'. I don't like rules unless rules are there to increase your enjoyment of life. I don't enjoy being in debt, so those rules are very good. I'm going to add a fourth rule:

Rule 1) Yes, by-all-means buy another car if you so wish. But you cannot use part-exchange.
Rule 2) If you want to buy a car, you must have the money in the bank to do so, and you must not have any debt except the mortgage.
Rule 3) You can sell a car anytime you want.
Rule 4) You can only buy a car model once then never that model again.

Rule 4 is an interesting rule. It means you have to really think hard before making a purchase because you've only got one chance to experience ownership of that car model. You really need to do your homework researching the model and finding your perfect spec. And it makes you enjoy what you've got that much more (because you know it is the first and last of it's kind you'll ever own.) You can of course mod the car to make it that bit better. And it means you get to enjoy ownership of more different cars in your lifetime.

Thinking about the last 4 years, I broke that rule 8 times!

2016 JUN: My second Audi A3
2017 MAR: My second Audi A1 (S1 is an A1)
2018 FEB: My third Audi A3
2018 DEC: My second SEAT Ibiza
2019 MAR: My fourth Audi A3 (S3 is an A3, and it doesn't count that the S3 was an older A3 model)
2019 MAY: My second Lotus Exige
2019 SEP: My second Mazda MX-5 (again, it doesn't count that it was a newer generation MX-5 to my previous)
2019 DEC: My third Lotus Exige

(Check out the last post for My Car History)

For me Rule 4 means: no more Lotus Elise, no more Lotus Exige, no more Lotus Evora, no more Audi TT, no more Audi A3... I must make the most of my current Exige and TT as I will not have another!

There are many cars I'd like to enjoy in the future, for now let's enjoy what we've got!

2020.05.17 (Sunday)

Rear plate now fitted.
Plaque rattling sorted (put some large rubber washers underneath, hope they last).

And I've got some new thoughts on upgrades:

- Carbon fibre sill cover (EURO 439) + PPF
- Black pack roof line wrap
- Phase EX370 Upgrade (from EURO 1690)
- Side sills maybe.

Comments