Middlewick House Open Day [Sunday 9th June 2024]

I booked tickets for £10 for Sunday 9th June to go to the Middlewick House Open Day, but I didn't actually get there 😂.

I left home around 1100, and the ETA was around 1200 to arrive. Unfortunately I arrived in the middle of a big traffic jam and after 1 hour of being stuck, I made my exit from Corsham. So a 3 hour round trip, 1 hour of that stuck in traffic. Fortunately I was in the Audi (I had doubts about the "in field" parking being suitable for the Lotus, but it probably would have been fine judging by the number of sportscars I saw going.)


Notice a small queue of cars at the bottom of the photo.

Honestly, I'm really not interested in queuing for ages to see something. And I imagine I would be queuing for ages to leave too. I've come to the conclusion that these "special car days" at stately homes that really don't have the road infrastructure to stage such an event are something I'm happy to miss. A well run event in a purpose built location like the Birmingham NEC, or Excel in London, or on a major race circuit like Silverstone, is better. Even the Goodwood Festival of Speed does not appeal to me - unless I could walk there, perhaps stay somewhere very local during the event - as I've heard tales of misery with traffic jams.

I definitely won't be going to Middlewick House Open Day 2025. Once bitten, twice shy. Yes, if I had timed things better, the traffic would "probably" have been better.

I have been starting to doubt if car shows really do much for me. An experience day where I can actually experience the cars (like I can experience my Lotus on a track day) is more my thing. I like that you can experience cars at the Classic Car Show in Birmingham NEC for a donation to charity.

  • Car shows: NO
  • Car experiences: YES

Comments