Anglesey Track Day - October 21st 2023

I finally got to Anglesey 😊

I must admit I didn't take full advantage of the opportunity. Partly due to having things on my mind; partly myself wimping out (track days can be quite intimidating); partly because my Exige had already had an epic journey, and there was still the epic journey home to do, and I wanted to not push it too hard; and also I didn't want to arrive home too late. Yes, yes, excuses, excuses. Next time I go, I'll need 2 nights (even if I'd done the morning session, I had planned to leave at lunch time to get home ... but the afternoon session is often the best because quieter.)

I left home (West Berkshire) just after 0900, picking the route up North to Liverpool and then West. Partly because of Storm Babet and fears about flooding. My ETA was between 4pm and 5pm. Alas, I made a mistake when I came off a Nantwich to get some fuel, and then my sat nav tried to send me across country. Three times I had to turn the Exige around because of unpassable floods (unpassable in my Exige anyway.) I ended up returning to the M6 and re-joining the original route. But it was slow, very slow. The M5 and M6 had been bad (Fridays is the worst for traffic) and the A55 West was very bad too. Finally, I arrived my B&B around 1900, so 10 hours driving.

One thing I must say is the Automatic Exige is a really easy car to drive if you're stuck in traffic. The manual Exige would have been a nightmare in stop-start traffic. The Automatic Exige was very very comfortable. Sometimes I think "I'm driving a comfortable Toyota Camry just with a kick-ass custom bodyshell" 😂

On Saturday 21st, I made the short journey to Anglesey Circuit. I briefly had to wait for Police to clear some oil on the A road to the circuit.

And I did 3 laps of Anglesey (the sighting laps) but didn't do any more after. Another reason, I was too lazy to fit my towing eye, especially as I'd only have to unfit it a few hours later.

What a waste. Full track day payment and morning session track day insurance, for 3 sighting laps at max 50mph... 

And reminder to self: "Don't book driving training if you mean to leave early (unless you're a very early booker - understandably those first to book training are the first to get training.)" Again, I missed out on driver training. Maybe I should seek out personal/small group 1-2-1 tuition, so I don't feel so intimidated by super fast cars and drivers on track days!?

Then the journey back home. Left 1000, around home about 1700, and I went the Southern route down to Anglesey and Swindon.

All-in-all, an epic 600 mile journey in the Exige. Below is roughly the route taken.


I do sometimes wonder how much I like track days. When I first left Anglesey circuit, my feeling was that I very much don't need track days. But on the journey back home, my mind had changed. The Exige is wasted if you only ever drive at or below the legal speed limits. It wants to go.

I'll be back!

Comments