2006 Porsche Cayman 3.4 S Arrived 14th July 2023

I collected my 2006 Porsche Cayman 3.4 S on Friday 14th July 2023. It was a very wet day, some light floods on the road (nothing too bad) and the Porsche got me back home safely. This time I'm not far from the car seller, it was just 40 miles back home.

I realize the TTS didn't last that long, only 5 months. In some ways it was always a bit of an interim car whilst the A3 was stuck in the garage. How long will the Cayman last!?

I always plan to buy cars and keep them forever, and that rarely works out. But this is my 3rd Porsche, and it is the best so far (3rd time lucky!?) I'm happy to be back in a Porsche with normally aspirated flat 6 engine. The 987 is my favourite Cayman. Honestly, I'm not sure there is anything better out there for a daily driveable sportscar.

First Impressions

My first impressions of this 2006 987 Cayman S, is that it's very good 😊. I'm only 2 days in though. It was serviced recently, but the MOT is due in January, so what I'll do is book another service and MOT in January and get anything fixed that needs fixing, then we've got the MOT and servicing in-sync.

Anything That Needs Fixing

I did have to superglue one of the interior lights.

One of the door pocket lids is semi-broken, and I've seen the part for like £600 (which seems insane). I might get that fixed in January: Buy Porsche Cayman 987C/981C (2005-2016) Cayman S 3.4L 987C 2005-08 Door Panel | Design 911

And I've not noticed anything yet, other than the brakes being a little squeaky. Perhaps the suspension is a bit clonky. Nothing needs fixing currently.

Modifications

It's easy to get carried away with modifications. The first modification I'd do is to replace the aftermarket head unit, with the: PCCM Plus. This is quite expensive (when I enquired for my 986 Boxster S, it was something like £1500) and I'm in no rush. The aftermarket unit does Bluetooth, and seems perfectly fine for my needs. I'll spend most of my time listening to the engine anyway.


What's Next!?

I need to drive the car and take more photos. This first weekend has been a bit of a washout. I might use it on a work trip this week. If the weather holds out it would be the perfect opportunity to take some photos.

I also bought a GoPro. Time permitting, I'll re-kindle my YouTube channel - re-present some videos I've hidden and add in some Cayman 987 S content.

Thoughts On My Porsche 986 Boxster S

Thinking back, if it hadn't been for the unfortunate egg-ing incident, I'd have kept the Porsche 986 Boxster S and maybe I'd still have it now. I really liked that Porsche 986 Boxster S, much much more than my 718 S (the 4-cylinder engine was a real let down.) This 987 Cayman S feels even better than the 986. I'm very happy with my decision to purchase it. Fingers crossed we don't get any major issues.

Comments