Lotus Exige S3 on PistonHeads [2023-01-02] (37)

The Lotus Exige S3 is my dream car. I had 3, and would happily have another. I am a stupid fool to have sold the first one (which was my favourite.)

And because I love the Lotus Exige S3, I thought I'd just do a round up of what is on PistonHeads currently. Just out of curiosity 😉.

I have a favourite amongst those below, but I am not going to be buying another one for the foreseeable future! My favourites are the orange ones and olive green one (I know picking a favourite on colour is a bit girly, but colour is important - I loved my 1st signature orange Exige.) My favourite favourite is neither orange or olive green (I gave that away in the previous post) - I sincerely hope someone buys it soon to save me the temptation.

Realistically, I don't want to have a sportscar on finance. I'm not so wealthy that these are cheap things to me. They are very expensive toys. Having to pay £500 a month finance, then find money to actually enjoy the sportscar, leaves me a bit stretched, and when you're financially stretched you don't enjoy your financially burdensome toys (which is maybe why I struggled to hold onto the ones I had.)

If the mortgage wasn't too painful (and I had plenty of overpayment reserve in the event of a rainy day - like 3 years worth), I did not need finance, I had no other debts, I could comfortably afford the running costs (which aren't too bad - a lot of the running gear is Toyota), I'd keep the car forever (or at least a very long time) and I'd have plenty of time to play with her (got to call her a she 😊) then maybe....














Would a Lotus Exige S3 be a good investment?

I wonder. Now they've stopped making the Elise and Exige, they've become somewhat more collectible and less obtainable than before. And the prices don't seem to be dropping (if anything they have risen slightly in the last 2 years.) I'd love to convince myself that they would make a good investment, but that's not a good reason in my book for getting a car. The pleasure of owning a car comes from driving it on great roads, great race tracks and great adventures! (Something, I didn't do enough of with the Lotus cars I owned.)

EPILOGUE: Conditions Required Before I Buy Another Lotus Exige
  1. No debt (except a well under control mortgage - like I could easily overpay it > 100% a month, and a good couple of years worth of overpayment reserve) and no need for finance!
  2. The time to enjoy the sportscar:
    • At least bimonthly, must go on a decent adventure (car show, track day, or simply somewhere fun)
    • I wouldn't want a sportscar in storage that I hardly ever see (which I have done in the past)
    • I wouldn't want a sportscar stuck on my driveway that I hardly ever use
    • Q: Will I have quality time with the car?
    • Q: Would the time spent on a sportscar be better spent elsewhere?
  3. The money to enjoy the sportscar:
    • I wouldn't want to resent the car because of the drain on my finances, with having to buy petrol, pay for car tax, pay for servicing, etcetera.
    • Q: Is buying a sportscar money well spent?
    • Q: Are there other things I'd rather spend the money on?
  4. I'd want to be sure I'll keep it forever (at least until my health no longer permits it)
  5. (Strongly ideally) I'd have a house with a double garage in which to store the Lotus. Even better, I'd be able to park my Lotus in my living room like the guy with the Ferrari (video below.) If you have a really nice car and your only parking is outside the house in a residential area, it is definitely a concern.
  6. (Ideally) Not be in England anymore!
    • Might seem like an odd thing to say, but I'm sick of paying taxes in this country and seeing how badly they are wasted. The less I spend, the less of my money the government gets. The UK Government (doesn't matter which of the main parties it is) are absolutely awful, and they've been awful for pretty much my entire lifetime. They don't care about the natives of this island - they are simply useless - not fit for purpose. They don't care about the public taxpayers money, as they just print more and more of it making us all poorer and poorer. And there's no long term plan. Very depressing. I'll have to retire to Thailand and get my next Exige over there!

I've been incredibly lucky and fortunate to have owned and enjoyed fantastic sportscars. Perhaps the sportscar bug has been and gone with me. Maybe it was a mid-life crisis!?

Comments