My Sportscar Days Have Come to an End!

The Porsche Boxster got sold! It got sold on Saturday 3rd July 2021, and now my sportscar days have come to an end (possibly not forever, but certainly for a while.)

The reason why I decided to let the Boxster go was mainly due to experiencing my car getting egg-ed on Sunday 27th June. There I was, driving along minding my own business, I see a white van on the other side of the road, then, bam, my windscreen was awash with egg white and yolk.

After stopping my car later and cleaning off the egg, I discovered an egg shaped impact crater on the bonnet. Maybe you can see here (click to enlarge):


To repair it would have been a bonnet re-spray, and then I'd probably look at PPF-ing the bonnet. This would probably cost close to £1000.

I was very lucky the roof was up when this happened, otherwise it would be egg in the face and the cockpit. And when I enquired on Pistonheads, it seems like this is not uncommon (getting egg-ed that is). For me, it meant I couldn't enjoy the Boxster - or any convertible for that matter - anymore, because I'd always be looking for incoming eggs if I had the roof down. And because I didn't want to spend another £1000 on the Boxster to get it back to perfection, the Porsche had to go.

I was quite sad to part with this speed yellow Boxster. Really, it was my favourite sportscar - sounded brilliant, was comfortable, went as fast as you want/need a road car to go, was reliable. And I would like to think I will return to sportscar ownership in the future, but it would be a coupe with a sunroof.

To be honest, the joy of owning a nice car has been diminishing for me. There were other incidents with a sad minority of the public, which made me think it simply isn't worth the hassle of having a nice car. The roads where I live really are not much fun either (unless you go for a drive really early in the morning). And of course there's the fuel cost every time you decide to go out for a "joy" ride (that doesn't always end up being joyful.) And my 2011 Audi TDI is a perfectly fine car, do I really need another car!? I think "not for the time being".

Anyway, this is end of blog for now.

2021 is still looking like the first year since 2015 where I haven't actually bought a car.

PS The Lotus Emira looks fantastic - maybe in a few years time!

Comments