February 2021: Boxster Update & Seeing Past Cars for Sale

My 2002 Boxster S is currently away having some minor cosmetic work done to it, followed by enhancement detail and coatings. It's been away for 2 weeks now and I'm missing it a lot, can't wait to get it back. Alas, the UK's Coronavirus Lockdown means I probably won't see the Porsche again until March.

The work being done is:

  • Repaint rear bumper (was starting to de-lacquer, also when they took the bumper off they noticed some broken fixings, and those will be fixed)
  • Repaint door handles (these are looking very tatty)
  • Enhancement detail
  • Touch up the red callipers
  • Ceramic coatings
Should come to around £2000.

I already have plans for what to do next:
  • Restore the original number plate
  • Double din stereo with Apple CarPlay and subwoofer behind the seats
My Old Evora is For Sale!

I really should not be looking in AutoTrader or Pistonheads, but in a moment's weakness I did sneak a look and discovered that my old Lotus Evora is for sale. Currently it is for sale at
https://www.danieledwardcars.co.uk/used-cars/lotus-evora-3-5-vvt-i-v6-sports-racer-22-coupe-2dr-lichfield-202012036750987 for £36'995.

I have to admit to thinking this was my favourite Lotus of all 5 Lotus cars I have owned. A fantastic road car. Lovely sound. Lovely to drive. And you could just cruise in it if you want. I sold it – for an Exige S3 Roadster - really because I missed the open top driving experience. I think fairly easy to say it was the most special car I have ever owned. And I look at it now and wonder.

I know if I got it now (not totally sure how I would afford it), it would make me no happier than I already am. Now both my cars are sub £10k cars (sub £10k cost to me) it almost makes me struggle to believe I have owned a number of £30k+ cars. I know debt does not make me happy. And where would an Evora fit in my car line up? I don't want to sell my Audi and definitely not the Porsche. And how much use would it get? No, it's nice to dream about re-acquiring my Evora, but the practicalities do not make sense (then again, very little of my car buying and selling has made sense.)

If anyone is thinking of buying a used Lotus Evora, do it! Absolutely fantastic machines, I wish I'd not sold mine.

Image: My Old Lotus Evora up for Sale!


PS Whilst the Porsche is away from home, what do I miss the most? Boxster or Evora? To be honest, I miss my little Speed Yellow 986 Boxster most. Something very care-free and simple and easy about that car - helps that it cost less than a third the price of the Evora! And you simply can't beat open-top driving when the sun is out. Even my Audi has its lovely Panoramic sunroof which the Evora does not. I always think they missed an opportunity not making an open-top Evora.

Comments