My All-Time Favourite Pair of Cars

This is it! I finally think I've stumbled across my all-time favourite pair of cars in my car ownership history.

Image: My All-Time Favourite Pair of Cars


  • 2002 Yellow Porsche Boxster S (currently on 79'000 miles)
  • 2011 Black Audi A3 Sportback TDI Quattro Black Edition with Panoramic Sunroof (currently on 86'000 miles)

My second best combination of cars was the:

  • 2010 Solar Orange Audi S3
  • 2015 Yellow Lotus Exige V6 S Roadster

I think the combination of 2002 Boxster S and 2011 Audi A3 TDI, just edges it for a few reasons.

Firstly: Audi A3 TDI vs Audi S3:

  • Audi A3 TDI has the Panoramic Sunroof
  • Audi A3 TDI has cost advantages - fuel economy, road tax, insurance... - over the Audi S3*
  • Audi A3 TDI is a better colour a for professional person's car
  • Audi A3 TDI has 5 doors
I did love the burbling sound of the Audi S3, but I've never minded the agricultural sound of a diesel. Performance wise, the A3 TDI is perfectly fast enough for a practical daily car.

*If I hadn't sold the S3, I would have saved loads of money. It will take many many years of cost savings to reclaim the money I lost going from Audi S3 -> Audi TT -> 718 Cayman S -> Audi RS3...

Secondly: Porsche Boxster S vs Exige V6 Roadster

My Yellow Exige V6 S Roadster was my favourite Lotus (closely followed by the Evora). And I do miss the complete bonkerishness of the Exige. The Porsche Boxster has advantages of practicality, the sound of that flat 6, the roof mechanism, and it's performance is much better suited for a road car - more of a chilled out drive - but yes, I do wish I'd kept hold of that Exige and not gone MX-5 -> Exige V6 Club Racer -> 718 Cayman S -> Audi RS3.

A big trump card of the Porsche Boxster is that it was £9999. I think I found it hard to be completely comfortable with a £30k + car, especially having to finance it. Once my current loans, car finance, and 0% credit card is paid off, I'll avoid going down those paths again. More than anything, financing cars has spoilt my enjoyment of the cars which were financed.

Comments