Are Car Clubs Mainly for Couples?

I’ve been a member of 2 car clubs in my time:
 
1) Lotus Drivers Club
2) Porsche Club GB
 
I went to one meeting with the ‘Lotus Drivers Club’ (actually ‘Club Lotus’) and never again, because when I turned up in my Lotus Elise, I discovered that everyone else came in a couple. I felt out of place being there by myself. I should add that everyone was very friendly and nice, my problem was my own sensitivity.
 
I’ve not been to a ‘Porsche Club GB’ meeting, but I did join a zoom virtual meeting. And again, it was mostly couples.
 
One other observation is that the members of these clubs are mostly in their 40s and greater. No problem with this (I’m actually mid-forties but like to think I look more like mid-thirties), just something to mention. Kind of makes sense because most young people are scrabbling to get their foot on the proverbial ladder, no time for car clubs.
 
When the current pandemic is finally over, the events these clubs organize are absolutely first class. Well worth going with your other half. The exception - to needing another half - is track days; you can happily go to a track day on your lonesome. You don’t need to join a car club to take advantage of track days - like ‘Lotus on Track (Lot)’ is not affiliated with ‘Lotus Drivers Club’, and if you want to go on track days with other Lotus owners, LoT is the clear winner.
 
If you’re a single guy/gal, and get no benefit from car club discounts, nor the nice magazines the clubs produce, I’d say it’s not really worth being a member.
 
This requirement for being in a couple is something I should have licked, since I am married. Alas, my wife (married February 2020 in Thailand just before Covid-19 happened) is some 5000 miles away, and I need to travel over to Thailand sometime to sort out the visa to bring my wife to England. Thailand has locked down very strictly to foreign travellers; you have to pay for and stay 14 days in an Alternative Quarantine Hotel (AQH) on arrival, before they let you out to travel freely. My 25-days a year vacation is precious (perhaps I need to find a different source of income...), and I simply do not fancy spending 2 weeks of my vacation time in quarantine, and do not fancy the cost of an AQH either.


Comments