End of Blog? Changing from Lotus Exige and Audi TT to Porsche Cayman

No great explanation here. If you've been reading this blog, you'll see how many times I've changed cars over that last 3 years or so. So perhaps it is no great surprise I've traded in my Lotus Exige V6 S Club Racer (2015 car with 12'000 miles) and Audi TT TDI Black Edition (2012 car with 70'000 miles), for a Porsche Cayman 718 S (2017 car with 7'000 miles.)

My reasons are clear and simple:

Reason 1) I want to have only one car. I do not want to own two cars.
Reason 2) I want less distraction from cars and more focus on work/study.
Reason 3) I want to be more subtle. I like subtle.
Reason 4) No car covers & no car storage ever again!

That's it really. Simple but effective reasons. A more simple life (simple is always good.)

One day when I'm retired, live in a nice country house with a large garage, maybe then I'll get another crazy Lotus again. Until then, one car buying rule that I'm going to stick to:

Rule of Car Buying: Never buy the same car model again (not even generational changes).

For me that means never again a: Ford Fiesta, Ford Orion, Peugeot 205, Ford Focus, Audi A1/S1, Audi A3/S3, Lotus Elise, SEAT Ibiza, Lotus Exige, Mazda MX-5, Lotus Evora, Audi TT - and now - Porsche Cayman. So unless Lotus bring out a completely new and affordable car model, no more modern Lotus cars. To be honest, I feel less inclined to buy future Lotus cars now the company is owned by the Chinese. If I ever owned a Lotus again, it would be a classic Lotus Esprit Turbo. The longevity of the Cayman must be promising - where can I go after all I've had!?

Anyway, that's enough waffle from me. I leave you with pictures of my step into the dark side. Definitely subtle and classy too.

Image: Porsche Cayman 718 S GT Silver Metallic - Front Right

Image: Porsche Cayman 718 S GT Silver Metallic - Left

Image: Porsche Cayman 718 S GT Silver Metallic - Front Left

Image: Porsche Cayman 718 S - Interior Bordeaux Red & Black

Here is the spec of my 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S (really, a hell of a lot of car for the money - it's all for just a swap of my Exige and TT, and a couple of grand.)

Porsche 718 Cayman 2.5T S manual set in GT Silver Metallic:
- 20 inch Carrera S alloy wheels in black with red brake callipers
- Sports Chrono Package Plus
- Heated Sports seats in Bordeaux leather with embossed Porsche Crest headrests
- Electric retractable exterior door mirrors with auto-dimming
- LED Headlights with Dynamic cornering light
- PDLS Plus and Dynamic High beam
- Sports Exhaust with black twin tailpipes
- Rear window wiper
- Rear park assist
- Cruise control
- Sports GT leather steering wheel
- Extended black leather dash with contrasting Bordeaux red stitching
- Navigation System High
- Mirrorlink
- Carplay
- 2 x USB/I-Pod interface
- Voice control
- Telephone module with connection box
- Premium Radio with high definition reception
- Engine stop/start system
- PASM Electronic damper control
- Dynamic engine mounts (PADM)
- VTS security package with PCC

And yes, it is the flat 4 turbo and not the more widely acclaimed (nicer sounding) normally aspirated flat 6, but I'm okay with that. Some people like the way turbos' deliver their power and aren't too fussed about the sound of a highly revved screaming engine. Performance (and economy) figures speak for themselves.

Image: 981 Cayman S vs 718 Cayman S Power and Torque Chart

End Of Lotus Blog...

...at least until the Lotus Esprit arrives, or I change my mind again!

Comments