2020.05.23/24 - Discovering Radley Bottom

The 23/24/25 of May 2020 was a bank holiday weekend in the UK.

On Saturday the 23rd I took the Exige for a drive on well-trodden roads - nothing adventurous. A small shopping drive to the Shell Garage at Spleen, then down south on the A34, coming off at Tothill, and down the B4640, back into Newbury, and stopping at Newbury Retail Park and M&S to do some shopping.

On Sunday 24th, a slightly more adventurous drive on the B4000 through Stockcross and Wickham, a short bit of A338 south, and then my satnav sent me down a very beautiful country lane called ‘Radley Bottom’, then back into Newbury on the A4.

A couple of fun overtakes on the B4000. This can be quite a quick road, and there are a few good overtaking areas. You have to enjoy slow drivers because it gives you something to overtake. Speeding really is not for me (out of respect to other road users, and I want to keep my driving license thank you.)

Image: Radley Bottom Lane

My adventure down ‘Radley Bottom’ got me thinking that I’ve not been very adventurous. There are so many B roads and country lanes close to where I live that I should explore. I am a little wary of single-track country lanes due to fear of meeting something big and having to reverse a long way - really I should not be such a pussy.

Coincidentally, my petrol fill up on the 23rd was only £18. Say the Exige does 20p a mile, that’s just 90 miles I’ve done since I last filled up in March (after returning from my Snetterton track day). Which makes the mileage just under 12000 miles (say 11890).

Image: Sunday May 24th Circuit

Comments