My Lotus Adventure Pauses on the Friday 27th September

Carrying on from last weeks post. The decision is made. Yes, I'm selling my 2015 Lotus Exige V6 S Roadster and getting a 2019 Mazda MX-5 2.0 GT RF Sport Nav+.

It's been a bit of a crazy adventure over the last 2 years – Elise, Exige, Evora, Exige. I like to think I'm a sensible person, in truth, I've not been at all sensible, really a bit dumb (perhaps a mid-life crisis.)

So here's the sensible plan for the future:

Exige out, MX-5 in, and I get a few thousand that helps to pay off some debts (also reduces some other costs, but the Lotus barely depreciates so maybe not the best move, but still, in the short term reduces costs – servicing, fuel, tax, insurance, etcetera...)

My debts are currently ~£10k on an interest free credit card, £6k car finance for my Audi S3 (4% interest), and £8.5k personal loan (10% interest). The balance from selling the Exige pretty much clears the personal loan.

I've tentatively decided not to sell the Audi S3. If I sell it, I'd not gain that much over the finance, so I'll accept the £199 monthly's until that loan is paid off, and make no attempt to overpay. And I think a 2-seater rear-wheel drive sportscar, and a 5-seater Quattro, make a good pair of cars.

Of course, I really want to return to Lotus car ownership in the future, but it needs to be on the right terms. No loans! The reality is that if – after paying off my loans (except mortgage) – I managed to save £20k to £40k to buy a Lotus in the future, I might end up thinking 'better to use that money to move house'. Part of the problem with my Lotus ownership has been my lack of garage (not even a driveway...)

So, the full plan:

- Keep Audi S3 forever... (at least 3 years please)
- Keep Mazda MX-5 forever... (at least 3 years please)
- Stop paying for car storage (saves £100 per month)
- Kill off my debts (no car loan, no credit cards, no personal loan)
- Save some money
- Move house (a house with a garage please)
- Finally when I have money spare to get a Lotus, we'll return to Lotus ownership.

And there's also this little thing:

- Getting married in 2020...

If I can resist temptation, and not revisit the car market until 2022, it will be interesting to see how Lotus have evolved. Maybe by 2022 they will have one car that does it all.

The funny thing about this adventure is that if I hadn't owned a Lotus, I might never have tried out an MX-5. The MX-5 Zsport came about because I wanted something a little Lotus like to drive whilst the Orange Exige was in storage. And I loved that Zsport, so much so I'd be tempted to re-buy one (there's one of the market at the moment in better condition than the one I owned, that strongly tempts me.)

And my favourite car from last weeks post. It's absolutely the 'Lotus Exige V6 IPS in Midnight Blue'. I don't understand why it's sat at the Lotus dealer in Carlisle for well over a year (it was on the market when I bought the signature orange Exige). I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the money. In hindsight, that's probably the Lotus I should have bought.

Image: I absolutely love this spec Exige V6 S

Note: Regards the Audi S3. I'd like to do the Revo map in the future. And maybe a detail...

Comments