5 Cars I Might Consider Changing To

I am blessed to have two outstanding cars. Both cars I have spent money on too and would like to spend more on them in the future.

Alas, I get the feeling I need to consolidate two cars down to one, I get the feeling I need to go back to sensible. I’ve blown lots of money buying and selling cars. I’ve had fun experiencing the cars I’ve owned. With future marriage plans, I need to look at my finances and work out if there’s a way I can reduce my expenses, possibly reclaim a bit of money, and at the same time be satisfied and in love with my one and only car.

My Lotus Owners Diary might be coming to an end.

Here's 5 different cars on the market now that I’d consider.

Option 1: Lotus Exige V6 IPS in Midnight Blue

I love the subtle Midnight Blue colour. I had the Signature Orange Exige V6 IPS before and loved it but never really got to grips with the transmission. Towards the end of ownership, I was starting to get to grips with how to best use the IPS.

If I went for this I would part-exchange my Lotus Exige and Audi S3 for it. I’d potentially need to pay extra for the privilege. My car storage cost would go. My insurance would be a little cheaper. Road tax for the Exige V6 IPS is roughly half what it is for the manual Exige V6. The Exige V6 IPS would be my one and only car and daily driver. Is that crazy?

It would need servicing every 9000 miles. The automatic is a more robust gearbox than the manual unit in the Exige V6. A tempting but perhaps crazy option. Parking is sometimes going to be a pain. And the ground clearance might pose issues.

Lotus Exige V6 IPS in Midnight Blue
£45’995

Image: Lotus Exige V6 IPS in Midnight Blue

Option 2: Lotus Elise 220 Sport in Nightfall Blue with Tan Leather

I reckon this is my dream spec. Nightfall Blue is possibly my favourite all time Lotus colour, and the tan leather interior goes perfectly with it.

Again, I’d part-exchange my Lotus Exige and possibly Audi S3 for it. Car storage costs would no longer be required. Mileage costs, road tax, and servicing, are less than the Exige.

A crazy option or not so crazy?

I daily drove my original Lotus Elise 220 Sport for around 6 months. The thing that bugged me most was that at night-time you tend to get a face-full of light from cars and vans behind you, when you’re stuck in traffic.

Lotus Elise 220 Sport in Nightfall Blue with Tan Leather
£36’000

Image: Lotus Elise 220 Sport in Nightfall Blue with Tan Leather

Option 3: Porsche 718 Cayman 2.0T in White with Dark Red Leather

The Porsche 718 Cayman is more daily drive-able than the Lotuses above. This is the only white car in my selection. White exterior and part dark red leather interior works very well.

Again, I’d part-exchange my Lotus Exige and possibly Audi S3 for it. Car storage costs would no longer be required. General cost of ownership less than what I currently have.

Would the four cylinder 2.0 litre turbo be a disappointment? Perhaps an older Cayman with a V6 would be a better bet? Am I a Porsche person?

Porsche 718 Cayman 2.0T in White with Dark Red Leather
£36’750

Image: Porsche 718 Cayman 2.0T in White with Dark Red Leather

Option 4: Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro 310 PS 6-speed 3dr in Navarra Blue

The Navarra Blue looks great and is a bit different. The S3 is a very good daily car.

Practicality: Audi S3 > Porsche Cayman > Lotus Elise > Lotus Exige

Potentially I’d sell my Exige and S3 and have a nice chunk of extra cash left over.

‘Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro 310 PS 6-speed 3dr’ in Navarra Blue
£22’990

Image: ‘Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro 310 PS 6-speed 3dr’ in Navarra Blue

Option 5: Mazda MX-5 2.0 GT RF Sport Nav+ in Blue with Dark Brown Leather

I’ve had one Mazda MX-5 and loved it. This one is much newer and the RF model. To be brutally honest, the exterior colour looks a bit dull, but the interior colour I like a lot.

Like with the Audi S3, potentially I’d sell my Exige and S3 and have a nice chunk of extra cash left over.

Mazda MX-5 2.0 GT RF Sport Nav+ in Blue with Dark Brown Leather
£22’490

Image: Mazda MX-5 2.0 GT RF Sport Nav+ in Blue with Dark Brown Leather

Scores: 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Cost effectiveness: Mazda > Audi > Elise > Porsche > Exige
Practicality: Audi > Porsche > Mazda > Elise > Exige
Fun factor: Exige > Elise > Mazda > Porsche > Audi
Carefree (no worries) factor: Mazda > Elise > Audi > Porsche > Exige
Wow factor: Exige > Porsche > Elise > Mazda > Audi

Result:

18pts Mazda
16pts Elise
14pts Audi
14pts Porsche
13pts Exige

Other options:

- Older Porsche Cayman with the V6 (am I a Porsche guy?)
- Audi A3 (would I be satisfied?)

Really, I absolutely want to go down to 1 car. I'm realistic enough to know that in part-exchange my Audi S3 doesn't have much value, in which case it's hardly a benefit to sell it. If I kept the Orange Audi S3, I'd need something that went well with it:

- Mazda MX-5 Anniversary Edition in Orange (2 orange cars)
- Lotus Elise 220 in Olive Green

Conclusion:

The best car that would solve:

- Everyday practicality ("there can be only one")
- Works with my lifestyle ("soon to be married guy with no kids")
- Excellent affordability ("reduces current expenses and gives a little back")
- Fun factor
- Not too nice that I worry about it too much (like people getting jealous)!

Well, it is an easy choice:

- Mazda MX-5

The Lotus Elise comes second just that they are more pricey (i.e. the one above is £36k compared to £22.5k for the Mazda).

Comments