2019.07.21: Lotus Exige Update @ 15472 miles

My Lotus Exige had ~12500 miles when I collected it on Saturday 11 May 2019. Now the clock is on 15472 miles. I’ve managed to do 3000 miles in just over 2 months (2000 miles in the last month). The Exige is going to go back into storage until early September (I’ll SORN it for August).

The last month has mainly been work/business related mileage, so no exciting trips to write about. I did get the car serviced and coming home from the service after work in the evening time, all my lights went out (including the instrument cluster), this happened 3 or 4 times before I stopped using the main beam. The next day the car failed to start in a petrol station (turn the key and nothing). I thought it was a bad battery. When the recovery guy arrived, the car started. He felt around and found a loose connection to the starter motor. Seems that’s all it was, just some loose connections.

It’s a fantastic car. To be honest, a bit wasted on my business miles. I wish I had the holiday time free to go on driving adventures and more track days (work keeps me busy and often on weekends too, and I have reasons why my vacations take me to another continent.) It’s perfectly fine as a daily driver, if you’re a chilled-out driver (otherwise the frustration of so many dreary drivers in dreary cars, always being in the way, gets to you). It’s fantastic to take the roof off and drive in the open air. Some future plans: track day at Donnington Park in October, carbon fibre parts for the interior, Komotec EX370 upgrade (Phase I is fine for me, just something to make it a little more special), and hopefully next year go on some driving adventures with my girlfriend (might be wife by then.)

Still, I don’t seem to be able to shake the thought that “do I really need 2 cars?” Is there one car that could do it all for me. Be fun and be more suitable for daily driving (i.e. with a bit more luxury like a decent stereo system). Now, I have seen a nice Porsche (with Bose speakers...) I’ve never had a Porsche. And whilst I’m a fan of the Lotus Brand, I’m not so wealthy that I can afford unnecessary expense. Part-exchange my Lotus Exige and Audi S3 for a Porsche?

Funny thing was, I just happened to be looking at green cars (never had a green car but always liked some shades of green). If I’d kept the Evora, I would have got it wrapped (or Topaz Skin-ed) in the Lamborghini Verde Ithaca Pearl Green (below 2). Whilst I was looking at green cars, I saw the Porsche in the image below (below 3) - a very nice green. Loyalty is not a virtue! (Is having commitment a virtue?)

Image: My Lotus under the watchful eye of my Nest cam

Image: Lotus Evora in Verde Ithaca pearl green

Image: Porsche Cayman 3.4 987 R PDK 2DR in green

Comments