2018.12.28: Garage Update: Audi A3 gone, Seat Ibiza returns!

To round off a crazy 2018 for buying and selling cars (I’ve bought and sold 3 cars in 2018, the latest Audi A3 lasted from February to December, Exige from April to November, and Mazda MX-5 from July to November). The Audi A3 goes to be replaced by a Seat Ibiza.

The Audi A3 originally replaced a Seat Ibiza 1.2 FR Black Edition 3-dr (sportcoupe) in Grey. Whilst I did enjoy the Seat Ibiza, the 1.2’s only have a 5 speed gearbox, which isn’t any good if you’re on the motorway a lot (at the time I didn’t think it would be a problem, and was looking for something low insurance). So, it made sense to go back to an Audi A3 Quattro 184PS, which I knew well. In hindsight it would have been better to replace the 1.2 Ibiza for a 1.4 Ibiza.

My problem with Audi’s - and it’s taken me a while to realize this - is that they get boring very quickly. They are excellent cars, just dull. I’ve had an A1, A3 150PS, A3 184PS, S1, A3 184PS now, and none of them I’ve kept that long; unlike my black Peugeot 205, or white Ford Focus, both which lasted 5+ years - of course it could just be that back then I didn’t have money to change cars (I especially loved my black Peugeot 205 Diesel Turbo, and would have kept it longer if safety concerns hadn’t arisen.)

I was thinking the other day that the Seat Ibiza is a bit like this generation’s Peugeot 205 (everyone raves about the Fiesta but I don’t like the looks.)

My new car - which will share daily duties with the Evora - is a Seat Ibiza 1.4 FR Black Edition 5-dr in Black.

In my car history, I seem to have kept hold of black or white cars the longest, which is part of the reason I went for black. I knew I liked the Ibiza, it’s a fun little car and it feels like a youthful car, something people in their 20s and 30s would buy, and even though I’m in my 40s, I don’t feel like an old man yet! The FR Black Edition is the spec to go for. The 1.4 has the 6-speed manual gearbox. It’s also petrol as I wanted to get away from diesel. And strangely, I actually got given money for making the Audi A3 to Seat Ibiza change (about £1000), also my car insurance goes down, and road tax saves £100 per year. All in all, it seemed the right decision, one that I’m happy with.

My New Year’s resolution is “don’t buy any more cars!” A white Evora, and black Ibiza, perfect for the next 5 years!

Image: Seat Ibiza FR Black Edition (front view)

Image: Seat Ibiza FR Black Edition (rear view)

Comments