2018.07.14: Hethel Track Day

I had an errand day on Tuesday 10th July to take the Exige to Hofmann's of Henley (~ 30 miles) for its pre-track-day check-up.

Then - on Friday 13th - a drive up to Huntingdon Racecourse Holiday Inn (~90 miles) - this is a good Holiday Inn: modern, out-of-town, good parking - mostly importantly for me, I had a couple of days’ worth of free nights to use up, and I didn’t fancy any of the Holiday Inn’s near Norwich.

On Saturday 14th, the Lotus Exige returned to its birthplace, to Hethel (~75 miles). The weather was excellent - a very beautiful day. As always for a Lotus-on-Track event, the standard of driving was very good (good manners and etiquette - not talking so much about speed here, but there were some very fast drivers, not me though.)

Not sure how many laps I did, I’ll need to remember to start counting (I missed the first 90 minutes or so because I drove into Norwich Halfords to get a tyre compressor, since I'd bought with me one with a mini-cigarette lighter attachment that is too small for the in-between seat socket). It’s a challenging track. I was very happy they put a temporary chicane on Chapman before Windsock Corner (even with the chicane I still didn’t have the balls to go flat out.)

And on my very last run, very last lap (cooling down lap), loss of concentration and I went off in the Graham Hill curves. I knew I was going too fast (too fast for me anyway, a better driver could probably have managed at the speed I was going), but fortunately it turned out to be very minor since I just went straight on doing some cross country across the gravel and grass. And the car has got me back to home so I’m sure it’s pretty okay. I had the yellow flags waved for me!

The temporary chicane mini cone did get knocked over a few times causing red flags (not by me). There was one off which incurred a red flag, only minor damage was inflicted.

I returned to the Holiday Inn after the track-day, then back home on Sunday (~105 miles). Again I forgot to check the mileage, but it’s roughly 5800 miles now (5300 + 30 + 90 + 75 + 50 + 75 + 105 + 10).

Image 1 of 4: My Signature Orange Exige back home at Hethel

Image 2 of 4: My Signature Orange Exige back home at Hethel (before my off-track whoopsie)

Image 3 of 4: Hethel Circuit (with my off location circled)

Image 4 of 4: Parked at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse after the track-day (notice bits of hay in the number-plate and splitter)

Comments