2018.04.05 & 09: Trips to Uxbridge

On Thursday 4th April and Monday 9th April, I took the Elise on a couple of trips to my workplace in Uxbridge. It's a roughly 100 mile round trip, so 200 miles in total, pushing the odometer up to 6272 miles.

On Thursday 4th it was a sunny but cold day, so a great opportunity to blast down the motorway at 70mph with the roof off. I didn't need to be in until midday so left after 09:30 to avoid the rush hour, and it was a great drive. I could have taken the roof off for the journey back, but I was too lazy, so just jumped in and went. Both times I used the motorway route (mostly M4 with a bit of M25).

Monday 9th April wasn't a good day (raining pretty much all day), but the parking is very good at my companies offices in Uxbridge, so I'm totally happy to  take the Lotus. I left early at around 6am and took a motorway avoidance route. I don't think anyone enjoys driving in rush hour, and - to be totally honest - driving your "fun" car in miserable road conditions, is a fairly daft idea. Still, it was a good drive in.

The return journey was in the dark. I left around 6pm and it was still busy. I managed to get maniacally flashed at  once - I didn't do anything dangerous just miscalculated how long a short stretch of dual carriageway was, since it's not a road I use very often, so had to use the dashed overrun area to pass safely and smoothly (without needing to barge in and put the anchors on) - personally, I think some people need to just chill out. The same person who flashed me, then untook myself and another car on a roundabout by using the wrong lane ... hmm. This person was in a Prius, which reinforces my belief that people who drive depressing cars are lacking in the happiness department (they choose to lead a miserable and dreary life, and expect everyone else to be miserable and dreary too - if you're not they want to make you miserable and dreary, like them.)

On the way back, I did get held up at the train crossing in Thatcham, and it was night time, and this leads me onto one thing I don't like about the Lotus Elise. Because the Elise is so low, most car headlamps are at the exact level of your mirrors, and in stationary traffic when it's dark, you get a face full of light reflected off your mirrors from the lights of the car behind you, and it's a little unpleasant. One trick to avoid this unpleasantness would be to simply reach out and adjust the mirrors (I didn't do this though).

So, we're now at 8 months of Lotus Elise ownership and 6272 miles on the odometer (6200-ish by me .)

Image: Up to 6272 miles

Comments