2018.03.16: North Weald Activity Day

I left home on Thursday evening and drove to the De Vere Theobalds Estate (EN7 5HW), a trip of just over 80 miles. My room for the night was only £41, which I think is amazingly good value seeing as I had a great single room, and - more importantly - had a great night’s sleep.

Then Friday morning, I fuelled up at Shell Bullsmoor (EN1 4SB) - in hindsight I should have picked a Shell Garage closer to North Weald - and then made my journey to North Wield Airfield. I arrived spot on time for the 8.45am briefing. Check out Lotus On Track’s website for information on the North Weald Activity day (http://www.lotus-on-track.com/lotshop/ and http://www.lotus-on-track.com/circuit_guide/north_weald.html).

I really enjoyed my day. I liked how the 2 small circuits and high-speed corner were joined together to make the afternoon’s circuit. The great thing about these days is that you get the freedom to drive the car to your limits (I’m no Nigel Mansell, and my limits are well below what’s possible from the Elise Sport 220), in a very relaxed environment, and don’t need track-day insurance (which I don’t have included in my car insurance because I don’t have a garage.)

At the end of the day (4pm), I drove back home, avoiding motorways, through the awful Friday late-afternoon/evening rush hour traffic. In hindsight I should have booked another night at the De Vere. The Lotus Elise’s odometer now reads 5623 miles.

A few pictures!

Image: Parking at the De Vere Theobalds Estate is good!

Image: Single room at the De Vere Theobalds Estate (picture 1 - bedroom)

Image: Single room at the De Vere Theobalds Estate (picture 2 - bathroom)

Image: Cars lined up and ready for North Wield Activity Day

Image: View over the airfield (and part of the circuit) during lunchtime

Image: Lined up for the afternoon’s full circuit

Comments