2017.11.06: Drive into London (Hayes)

Picking up from the October 28th post, and apart from a trip(s) to the supermarket, my next trip with substantial distance was into London on Monday November the 6th. This time I was driving to a datacentre in Hayes to do some work. And it’s the first time I’ve started thinking...

Q: Do I really want to drive my Lotus Elise everywhere?
A: I love driving the Lotus Elise, but if I don’t have good safe parking at my destination, I care enough about my car not to leave it somewhere it might get disrespected.

My parking on this day was fine, but it has made me think that I might have to get something in the future, for places where I have concerns about parking. Not yet though! And, the really cold winter months, with ice and grit on the road, will I want to use my Lotus... Am I being a pussy? It’s not exactly ‘Daily Driven Exotics’ thinking.

The day started off very cold (0 degrees).

Image: Weather on Monday November 6th

And the car was under a very icy car cover (pretty much as soon as I took the car cover off, the windows froze over.) Starting was fine. Driving was fine - I took it gingerly though, just in case!

Image: Lotus Elise under Frosty Car Cover

And the journey was around 60 miles avoiding the motorways as per my current preference.

Image: Journey to Hayes

The mileage on my car is now 2844.

Carrying on from the question at the top of this post; you can experience the Lotus Elise only so much on public roads (whilst still keeping legal and safe). As the manual puts it 'to experience the car's full range of dynamic capabilities' it needs to be tracked, so next year we’re going on track.

Since I’m not a rich person, I’ve decided that the Lotus Elise will (may well) be the last car I ever purchase, and any other car will be a rental or lease. Since the Lotus Elise will hopefully be my car for all time - or at least until I’m not fit enough to get in and out - I’ve got free reign to modify it. First modification I’m considering isn’t really a mod, I’m thinking of wrapping in Satin Khaki Green with some matt black parts, to make it look more rugged. To be continued...

Comments