September 29th 2017: Trip to Hethel - Day 2 to 4 (Fri to Sun)

On Friday 29th, my Lotus Elise went back to its birthplace - the Lotus factory in Hethel. The morning’s drive was like a mile at most (Old Thorn Barn B&B is so close) and I did GoPro the journey so might YouTube this. For a lifelong Lotus fan, visiting the Lotus factory in Hethel was a dream come true.

I’d come to Hethel to complete the Lotus Driving Academy’s (http://www.lotusdrivingacademy.com/) Lotus Licence - Bronze Level, Silver Level, and Gold Level.

Bronze Level on Friday included a Factory Tour, Classis Team Lotus Tour, driving sessions with a Lotus instructor on the Lotus Test Track, and demonstration laps.
Silver Level on Saturday included steering circle, slalom, braking discipline, more sessions on the Lotus Test Track, and demonstration laps.
Gold Level on Sunday included giant slalom, circle power slide (very difficult), heal and toe (I’d never done this and picked it up easily with instruction), more sessions on the Lotus Test Track, and demonstration laps.

On all days we were using Lotus Elise Sport 220 - which was excellent experience for me as that’s what I’ve got. On the Sunday (Gold Level day), we also got to experience (and drive) the Exige Sport 350 - an awesome car. Overall, I must say the Lotus License experience was one - if not the - best weekends of my life.

As far as driving my car, I gave one of the guys on the course a lift to and from Wymondham every day. Then after the activities on Sunday (and a quick goodbye drink at the Bird in Hand) it was back off home, some 180 miles again, taking the Lotus Elise’s mileage up to around 1650 miles after about a month and a half’s ownership.

Image: The Lotus Test Track (this is a great track)

Image: Lotus Test Track and Factory as seen from above

Image: Lotus License Cars (1)

Image: Lotus License Cars (2)

Image: My Lotus back at Hethel

Comments