September 15th 2017: Thruxton Day 2 (Car mileage to 980)

On Friday September 15th, I went to Thruxton to partake of the Lotus Exige One-2-One Experience. This was the 189 bhp Lotus Exige based on the Lotus Elise S2 (really an Elise S2 with a roof scoop and wing).

The day started with registration, then a briefing at 11:10. The Exige is shared (there were two of us doing the experience), so I waited whilst the first driver did the 2 instructors laps, and their 6 laps, did my laps, waited whilst the first driver did their second 6 laps and the final high-speed instructor lap, and did mine. I hadn’t expected the waiting, this is okay though, gives you a change to look around at the other cars, and in the break, a chance to grab some food and drink and reflect.

I’d done a driving Experience at Thruxton back in 2003 - the star attraction being driving a Ferrari. One thing I remember was the final few laps in the single-seater was my favourite bit. It was great to drive the Lotus Exige, and being someone elses car, no worries about giving the car too much punishment. The instruction was great, but I did finish the experience thinking I’d love to have done some solo laps by myself (I guess that’s where track days are best.) Also, Thruxton is a very fast circuit, perhaps not the most interesting though (mostly fast corners), so I’d love to try another circuit, and I’ve had Castle Coombe highly recommended.

Whilst I was waiting for my videos to be developed (I will upload to YouTube in the future, just need to edit out my full name) I went on the Tiff Needell BMW M4 Experience. At £150 for 3 high-speed laps, I’d have to say it’s not value for money; I would have regretted not experiencing Tiff though, and it was a great experience, even though Tiff’s commentary on the 3 laps is very scripted and not something I’d been expecting (I should have expected it though.)

Finally, whilst waiting for my Tiff video to be developed (I might upload that too), I had fish and chips with baked beans in the Thruxton restaurant, to end a great day.

My route to Thurxton and back in my Lotus Elise was a more boring route when compared to Thursday, still the A34 and A303 really aren’t bad roads. Car mileage up another 60 miles from 920 to 980. Now I’m close to my 1000-mile service!

Some images from the day:

Image 01: The Red Lotus Exige experience car

Image 02: A selection of supercars in the Thruxton pit lane - Part 1

Image 03: A selection of supercars in the Thruxton pit lane - Part 2

Image 04: Another view of the Red Lotus Exige experience car

Image 05: Fish and chips with beans at Thruxton

Image 06: 30-mile route to Thruxton (same back)

Comments