September 14th 2017: Thruxton Skid Pan Experience (Mileage to 920)

On Thursday 14th, I took the Elise to Thruxton Motorsport Centre to do the Skid Pan Experience. This is a great experience. I didn’t want to use my Elise (especially whilst it’s under 1000 miles) so went for the standard Skid Pan Experience (this really is a bargain at £99). In the future I’ll come back and do the Skid Pan One-2-One with my Elise.

The cars we used were the Toyota GT86 and Mini Cooper. First up the Toyota GT86 - coming from an Elise this seemed liked a big car. I actually found the Toyota GT86 a lot more controllable than the Mini Cooper, and the reason for this was well explained by the instructor. The thing with the rear wheel drive GT86 is that the rear will break traction and you can reasonably easy regain control by coming off the gas and countering the break; whereas the Mini, with a much less balanced chassis (the GT86 chassis is pretty much 50:50 balanced), when it breaks it’s much more tricky (I’d say less forgiving, if you catch it early enough you might be okay), and it breaks much earlier (even with the same tyres.) Also, rear wheel drive cars require more finesse, so if this is your style it’s better for you; front wheel drive cars work more like on/off switch, because it’s pulling from the front you might be able to put your foot down and the front wheel drive will pull you out of trouble (but maybe not.) I definitely preferred the GT86, and this experience made me think I’m definitely not going to buy a Mini Cooper (I was thinking about it as a backup plan if my daily driving a Lotus Elise hits difficulties.)

When I turned up at Thruxton I’m sure there was a Tesla Roadster in the car park, and I’m kicking myself for not taking a photograph since it looked awesome. Here are some photos from the day:

Image: Mini Cooper and Toyota GT86

Image: The skid pan

Image: A slightly dirty Elise parked up

My route to Thruxton was just 22 miles via Hurstbourne Tarrant. Not sure if I misread my SatNav, but I ended up heading into Thurxton Industrial Park, and a route that definitely wasn’t on. I did have reservations about driving over some things on the road - not sure what they’re called “direction blockers” maybe - but this turned out to be fine, and the car did get a bit mucky in the Industrial Park whilst I was driving around lost. The return journey at 28 miles was much less eventful.

Image: “Direction Blockers”

Image: The SatNav wanted to take me onto the circuit (top left in the picture)

Image: 22 miles to Thruxton

Image: 28 miles from Thruxton

Finally, when I was back in Newbury area, I went to the Waitrose (to use up some gift cards), and here’s proof that I went shopping in my Lotus Elise.

Image: Lotus Elise in Waitrose carpark

The car got cleaned, put the car cover on (mostly to protect it from bird dropping hits which always seem to follow after a car wash), and it’s ready for tomorrow.

Comments