September 10th 2017: Return from Minehead: ~140 miles (Clock to 870)

Driving on a Sunday afternoon isn’t usually much fun. My trip back from Minehead again avoided motorways and the notorious Stonehenge roundabout, and was a good trip. The driving position in the Lotus Elise is really really comfortable (I find it more so that my previous Audis where I seemed to sit to a bit high - even setting the seat almost as low as it would go - and get knee ache.) I did stop off in Taunton (toilet break), Tintinhull (fuel stop: £29 or 23 litres), and somewhere else (toilet break - yes I take too many, been drinking too much). The journey was just over 3 hours.

I only fudged the 1st to 2nd gear change once (and cheated - put it into 3rd which is perfectly fine.)

Image: Route from Minehead
So now the car is up to ~870 miles. I’ve got a couple of short trips to Thruxton coming up, then back to Wales for the mandatory 1000 mile service.

The car’s currently sitting in the wind and rain, alas, I’d not had a chance to put the car cover on on Sunday. If Monday’s good (weather's not promising), I’m going to put the hardtop back on, give the car a wash, a quick trip around the block, then put the car cover on until Thursday.

I’m thinking about getting rid of the radio and speakers. Now, if I was stuck in traffic it might be nice to have a radio, but otherwise I don’t use it (I’ve yet to do more than turn it on and think, nah, prefer just to listen to the engine.) Perhaps a portable stereo would work (like those excellent Bose mini’s), something that could be paired with my iPhone (that’s always plugged into the USB socket in the passenger side cubby hole, and acts as my SatNav - frankly, Waze is better than the Audi SatNavs I've used) - to be continued...

I mentioned above that the Lotus Elise seats are really really comfortable. Another thing I really really like about the seats and the driving position, is the simplicity of it. The seat just moves forwards and back - there’s no phaffing around with up/down, inclination, steering column, and whatever else - this makes finding the optimal driving position super simple.

Comments